You don’t usually treat your dog as just a dog, but most likely a member of your family in most cases.
That means sometimes you probably can’t help but start feeding them with the same food as served on your dining table.
In our love and care we may unknowingly spoil them with bad habits and even feed them dangerous foods as there are foods that can cause a lot of issues to dogs – such as diarrhea, vomiting and food poisoning.
Let’s have a look at 7 potentially dangerous foods to avoid.
Chocolates are TOXIC for dogs according to the research of Dr. Tina Wismer (though they are safe for cats) – It can actually cause chocolate poisoning.
The severity of the poisoning varies according to the amount of chocolate consumed and symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and seizures.
2. Bacon/Fatty Meat
Wait, what? Why can’t dogs have bacon?
Yup! High fat foods like bacon, ham, or meat trimmings can lead to pancreatitis in dogs.
Also, since these meats are often high in salt content, they too can cause stomach upset and, in extreme cases, can cause dogs to drinking too much water, leading to being bloated, which can be fatal.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in candies, chewing gums and baked sugarless items.
This is a very safe and non harmful ingredient for humans BUT is a life threatening poison for dogs.
It results in an immediate drop in blood sugar and can even cause permanent liver damage.
As stated by the Pet Poison Helpline (PPH), a 10-pound dog would only need to eat ONE piece of sugar-free gum to reach a potentially toxic dose.
Low blood sugar can occur within just 10 to 15 minutes of consumption, in addition to vomiting and loss of coordination.
Keep grapes and raisins out of the diet of your dog at all times! (The combination is known to cause renal failure in dogs)
You’ll want your dog to stay out of trouble because they can impact your dog’s kidney and also result in vomiting, increased urination and increased thirst, which are potential symptoms of poisoning.
The onions and garlic combo doesn’t just give you “dragon breath”. It can also result in the destruction of red blood cells and lead to your dog getting anemia if eaten in huge amounts.
(Meaning: A small dose might not cause much harm, but better not risk it)
If your dog has eaten onion or garlic and is showing symptoms of lethargy, breathlessness, reduced appetite or irritation, then these may be indicating that it’s a toxic reaction or poisoning occurrence.
6. Sugary Food
Alcohol? Who in the right mind will feed alcohol to his/her dogs?
It’s possible either directly or indirectly. Let’s see: Many foods and desserts contain alcohol.
While you may prevent your dogs from eating alcoholic foods and desserts, sometimes your dog’s stomach can produce alcohol if they ingest homemade or store bought yeast dough used in making bread, rolls and pizza.
Even small amount of alcohol, both ingested through alcoholic beverages and produced in the stomach, can be life threatening to them, making it important to call your vet before you notice any kind of serious poisoning symptoms such as seizures.
The best way to avoid these life threatening situations is to cultivate your dog with the kind of foods they can eat and what kind of foods they should drop.
Also you will have to make a list of things that you and your kids should not feed your dog with.
Such small steps may go a long way to helping you give your dog a healthy life.
What other foods do you know are big No-Nos to be fed to our fur baby?
Comment below and let us know!