As dog parents, it is very hard for us to resist those adorable puppy eyes staring at us when we are munching our food. However, are you certain that the treat you are giving them will not hurt them?
We have compiled below top 10 human food that are toxic to our dogs. As always, if you suspect that your dog have eaten any of these following good, it is very important to take down the amount he/she have ingested and seek immediate help from your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Almonds is one of the most healthy snack for us with tons of health benefits. However, if not chewed properly, almonds can block the esophagus or even tear the windpipe. In addition, almonds are known to sometimes harbor a certain kind of mold called Aspergillus mold, which contains Aflatoxin. Salted almonds should be avoided at all costs due to their salt content which will result in water retention and will be especially dangerous to dogs prone to heart diseases.
Chocolates is a definite no no for dogs as they contains methylxanthines theobromine. Humans can easily metabolize this stimulant, however for dogs, they process it much slower which will allow it to accumulate the toxic level in their systems. Just consuming a small amount may result in diarrhea and vomiting. Irregular heart function, seizures or even death may occur if large quantity have been consumed.
It is best to avoid cinnamon even though it is not exactly toxic to dogs as the oil in cinnamon can irritate the insides of dogs’ mouths which will make them sick. If accidentally inhaled in powder foam, it can result in difficulty in breathing, choking and coughing. Nutmeg especially, if consumed in large amount may cause hallucinations and increased heartbeat.
GARLIC, ONIONS, LEEKS AND CHIVES
These herbs and vegetables especially garlic can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to anemia in dogs which will result in side effects such as weakness, pale gums, increased heart rate and even collapse. It is important to note that garlic and onion poisoning may have delayed symptoms so it is best to monitor your dog for a few days if he or she displayed any symptom.